Program Description- Join us for the 2nd Annual Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine Symposium on Saturday, October 17, 2020. This one-day continuing education seminar is presented by Northern Michigan Sports Medicine Center and the APTA Michigan Northern District. The courses in this year's symposium will cover some of the latest sports medicine and pain management concepts in physical therapy in both youth and adult athletes.
- Return to Pitching After Rotator Cuff Repair - Eric Mancini, MD and Jeff Smith, PT, DPT, OCS.
- Management of Osteoporosis in Active Females Over the Age of 65 - Sarah Wolf, DO, Rachel Burmeister MSN, FNP-C, and Karin Leland, DPT.
- Return to Sport Considerations Following an Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement - Logan Hanson, DO and Jeff Samyn, PT, OCS, CSCS
- Implications of COVID-19 Infection in the Student-Athlete Population - Todd Sheperd, MD, CAQSM, and Jeff Samyn, PT, OCS, CSCS.
- Differential Diagnosis and Treatment of Low Back Pain in Young Weightlifters - Eugene Wang, DO and Jeff Smith, PT, DPT, OCS.
- New Guidance in Thoracic Kyphoplasty for Active Older Adults and Use of a New Therapeutic Tool (the NewGait) to Manage these Patients - Anthony Bozzio, MD and Kim Spranger, PT.
- Understand the considerations involved with returning overhand pitchers to throwing after a rotator cuff repair.
- Learn about management strategies for osteoporosis in females over the age of 65 who are involved in various sports.
- Understand important considerations involved with returning high school players to sport after a traumatic fracture or reconstruction of the ankle.
- Review an evidence-based approach to evaluation of major orthopedic injuries based on the latest research.
- Learn about the differential diagnosis and available interventions for young athletes who injure their low back while weightlifting.
- Understand new guidelines for when thoracic kyphoplasty is indicated for older active adults and hear about a new therapeutic tool (New Gait) can provide function and pain relief for these patients.
The confirmation email will include a handout with instructions to join the event.