Welcome to the APTA Michigan Oncology Rehabilitation Special Interest Group (SIG).
The APTA Michigan Oncology Rehabilitation SIG was created in effort to increase physical therapy educational events, research, and treatment in the context of oncology rehabilitation. Our goal is to provide a base of communication and collaboration among SIG members in order to provide optimal physical therapy services to our oncology patients. We look forward to your involvement and contribution!
APTA MI Oncology Rehabilitation SIG Mission
To serve members of APTA Michigan who care for patients following a cancer diagnosis through touchpoints of education, patient and professional advocacy, collaboration, research and innovation in Oncology Rehabilitation.
APTA MI Oncology Rehabilitation SIG Vision
To become a statewide leader and national model for an oncology rehabilitation special interest group for physical therapy professionals and to progress interdisciplinary collaboration within the state and national organization
President: Lorig Boright, PT, DPT
As president of this esteemed group, I have the privilege of collaborating and engaging with the other leaders of this organization who are leaders and visionaries in this specialty area of practice. We collectively have a very diverse clinical and academic skill set that enhances our ability to live out our mission and values in a very tangible way. I bring 2 decades of adult and geriatric experience to this group, the last 6 years have been focused on cancer rehabilitation at various points in the survivorship continuum. My research line highly emphasizes prehabilitation for a variety of cancer diagnoses.
The Communications Committee is compromised from students of Michigan’s Doctorate of Physical Therapy Programs. We organize the website, develop educational handouts, collaborate with a variety of healthcare professionals, seek feedback from the community, work to increase equity and inclusion, set up opportunities for clinical education or volunteering and much more! We have the honor of working with oncology rehabilitation specialists who are the best in the state and the country. We also have the honor in collaborating with Oncology Board Certified Specialists.
- Andrews University
- None at this time
- Central Michigan University
- Cullen Lane, SPT (Class of 2021)
- Megan Premo, SPT (Class of 2021)
- Scott Feldpaush, SPT (Class of 2022)
- Grand Valley State University
- Benjamin Havenaar (Class of 2022)
- Oakland University
- Nicole Dailey, SPT (Class of 2020)
- Alyssa Logie, SPT (Class of 2021)
- Sarah Welch, SPT (Class of 2022)
- University of Michigan – Flint
- None at this time
- Wayne State University
- Stephanie Fudalla, SPT (Class of 2022)
- Western Michigan University
- Kyle Weck, SPT (Class of 2021)
Deb Doherty – Oakland University
Emilee Bohde – The Recovery Project
Cynthia Tan – Beaumont Health
Mary Lynn Coughlin – St. Mary’s of Michigan
Ruth Haefner – Michigan Visiting Nurses
Gomati Kanphade – University of Michigan
Pat Blount- Ascension Health
Cindy Marsili- Beaumont Health
We are working towards a world where all persons can get equal benefits from oncology rehabilitation services.
We aim to address systemic factors that create barriers to cancer rehabilitation services specifically for populations that have been historically marginalized due to unearned advantages – in our communities, our state, and around the world.
We hope to role model how all professional activities can embody our APTA Code of Ethics 8B: “Physical Therapists shall advocate to reduce health disparities and health care inequities, improve access to health care services, and address the health wellness, and preventative health care needs of people.”
For 2021, rather than taking on specific projects that work towards health justice, our aim is to mindfully direct all of our SIG’s activities – from webinars, meetings, educational activities, to advocacy – to address the root causes of health disparities specific to oncology rehabilitation.
Please contact April Gamble if you are interested in being a part of the GOC: email@example.com
Oncology Global Outreach Webinar By: April Gamble on November 19, 2019, – https://youtu.be/7igB95xFWNM
- Working Towards Health Equity and Justice Within the World of Rehabilitation By: April Gamble PT, DPT, CLT; Prisca M. Collins, PT, PhD; Jill Binkley, PT, MSc, CLT, FAAOMPT and Mallory Mark, PT, DPT – https://aptami.org/?eiv342
- Oncology Global Outreach Webinar By: April Gamble – https://youtu.be/7igB95xFWNM
- Compassion Fatigue By: Laura Munger- https://youtu.be/9bLU8buKB8I
- APTA Michigan Oncology Rehabilitation SIG Fall Conference and COVID-19 Case Studies – https://youtu.be/0tunSbhmsHg
Educational Oncology Upcoming Events
- Spring 2021- Genitourinary Oncology Rehabilitation Symposium (more information to follow)
Resource Links Related to Oncology Rehabilitation SIG-
Michigan Cancer Consortium
APTA Oncology Section
World Confederation of Physical Therapy