Mission Statement: The Pediatric Special Interest Group of the American Physical Therapy Association Michigan Chapter is committed to transforming society for Michigan’s children by advocating for pediatric physical therapy practice.
Vision: We will establish a supportive network for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants in Michigan who work with children by promoting evidence-based practice through knowledge translation and striving for excellence in child- and family-centered care.
- Chair: Jess Kowalski
- Vice-Chair: Stacy Zousmer
- Secretary: Yvonne Jackson
- Research Director: Lisa Kenyon
- APTA MI Pediatric SIG Consultant: Janet Downey
- Education Director: Ciera Melton
- Membership Director: Justine Murphy
- Communications Director: Ted DeChane
- PTA Director: Sarah Card
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Director: Sarah Bigelow
- Student Liaison: Sarah Parker
- Western District Nominating Committee Member: Letrisha Stallard
Pediatric physical therapists are uniting in the state of Michigan to reach out to physical therapists who practice in a variety of pediatric settings. Currently physical therapists have had limited opportunities, or representation in Michigan to support specialized pediatric physical therapy practice settings.
The goals of the Pediatric SIG include:
(1) Advocating for pediatric physical therapy practice;
(2) Establishing a supportive network for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants who work with children;
(3) Promoting evidence-based practice through knowledge translation; and
(4) Striving for excellence in child- and family-centered care. Identified key persons to initiate the Pediatric SIG have been established.
We are looking for active participation with current APTA Michigan Chapter members and welcome therapists who treat pediatric patients from all practice settings with potential interest in providing services to children.